Saturday, September 16, 2006

Dating the Non-Vegan


I would describe the guy I am seeing as an incorrigible meat-eater. He is about twice my size, and of Viking heritage, so he comes by it natually I guess. He is very respectful of my new Vegan lifestyle, but as of yet he has to try my Vegetarian cooking. I am a good cook (really!). We are currently getting more serious, and working towards the day that we will move in together. I would be moving onto his boat, thus technically "his turf". So all this makes me very circumspect. He thinks that my cooking will probably make him healthier. But I don't think he will ever give up eating meat. And I am not naive enough to think that you can necessarily change people that easily, or that you should even try. I will think optimistically and hope that I am a positive influence.
I don't mind being around meat all that much, but I would rather leave behind the feeling of obligation that I have to prepare it for somebody. If it is my turn to cook, I want to be preparing a vegan meal, and will stick to my guns. Still, I hope that my meals are well received, are filling enough, and don't seem too strange to those around me in general. Cooking for myself, I have been free to experiment (and sometimes the experiments are not exactly what could be termed an unqualified success). I cook whatever is vegan and appeals to me, and haven't yet had to consider anyone else's opinion about whether it constitutes a good meal.
On the typical weekend, if he is over we will tend to go to the same restaurant and order the same thing every time. On his side of the table: Hamburger and fries. On my side: Tofu Scramble (really good!). Well, this is not the only area in which we differ (sigh). Must be love.
Some good posts on the same subject:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kareno said...

Thank you Kleo! Similarly, the people in my life have been supportive, even though very few people directly surrounding me are vegetarian. Even those who don't understand have been amusedly tolerant, and just tease me.

My parents joked "where did we go wrong?", but then went out of their way to have a complete spread I could eat, including grilled portabella steaks, the last time I was in Ontario.

Gotta lot of details to work out before I'm living on the boat (including scaling down my stuff!), but I am excited overall. Just looking to maintain my integrity in what will be a huge lifestyle change.

11:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home